All You Need To Know About Dental Implants
Dental implants have proven to be the best alternative for a lost tooth. The simple surgical procedure has made it possible to get natural looking healthy teeth after a tooth loss due to injury, aging and various other reasons. Once implanted, these are easy to maintain and durable enough to keep you smiling with confidence for longer. Here is all you need to know about dental implants and how to choose the right surgeon for the procedure.
What are dental implants and what implant surgeons do?
Dental implants are nothing but natural-looking artificial teeth that are used to fill in the gaps created due to loss of teeth. It can help you retain the structure of your face and eliminate any consequences of the lost tooth. The procedure may take several visits to your dentist who will perform a number of steps to ensure that the tooth replacement is fruitful. Your surgeon will perform the following procedure during a dental implant.
1. At the beginning, your surgeon will make a small incision over the bone to split the attached gum and expose the bone.
2. Once the soft tissue is removed, drilling at high speed is done and the pilot holes are placed.
3. Next, the surgeon will use low-speed drilling to expand the pilot hole. Since special care is taken during this process, there is no damage to the bone cells due to overheating. The temperature is controlled by dripping saline water throughout the drilling process.
4. The implant is screwed in places by preparing the site by tapping the implant screw. Special care must be taken while performing this step as to avoid any overload to the surrounding bone.
5. Once the dental implant is in place, tissue adaptation is done to seal the implant.
6. At a later date, another procedure is made to uncover the dental implant by the surgeon.
Why you should get a dental implant
No doubt, implants are one of the best ways to replace a lost or damaged tooth. It can be really helpful in carving your smile and retaining the structure of your face. Here is why you must absolutely go for dental implants.
There is nothing weird than the appearance of artificial teeth. Dental implants are the best solution if you don’t want anyone to know that you lost a tooth or teeth. It fits firmly in the gap without showing any difference for an original tooth and functions like a real one. A dental implant can offer you all the benefits of a real tooth.
Improves oral health
Since a dental implant fits in naturally filling up the empty space, there is no deterioration of the jaw that is left exposed after you lose a teeth. Moreover, there are lesser chances of cavities in the implant restored crowns if you go for a dental implant. It also protects the healthy teeth by supporting them.
Dental implants are durable than other dental solutions as they last for years. While most implants will last for five to seven years, some may last for even ten years with proper care. Besides, they need less maintenance and functions better than other dental procedures for lost teeth.
What to expect before and after surgery
Even though a dental implant will provide a complete solution for lost teeth, it is essential to understand if you are the right candidate for the procedure. Before the procedure, you will have to find the right surgeon and discuss your need and concern. You dentist will evaluate your oral condition and plan a suitable technique. Gum diseases and certain health conditions may interfere with the procedure and must be discussed beforehand.
Once your dentist finds it suitable to carry on with the steps, you will be asked to come prepared for the procedure. You may expect a time of at least three months for integration of the implant. It may vary from person to person and the time taken for osseointegration (the growth of the bone at the surface of the implant). After successful placement, regular maintenance must be performed to check the condition of the implant and for cleaning it.
How to choose the right surgeon
With an increase in dental advancements, there are so many implant surgeons available, but choosing the right one plays an important role in determining the success of the implant. Here is how to choose your dentist.
* Get recommendations- Ask for recommendations from family and friends if they have undergone the process lately and discuss the success rate and their experience with the dentist.
* Look for experience- An experienced surgeon will certainly be better than someone who does not have in-hand experience.
* Mode of payment- Some dentist may ask you to pay upfront. Discuss the mode of payment if you are concerned.
The overall cost will vary among implant surgeons and may depend on individual dentist’s fee, location and the facilities provided in the clinic. You must always discuss the overall cost of dental implants with individual surgeons separately to choose the one according to your budget.
To learn more about other dental care and oral surgery procedures visit our blog Knowledge is Power